My teaching evolution from the classroom to online



When I started off teaching abroad, I never imagined that I would be anywhere but the classroom. Fast forward ten years, I'm out of work due to a worldwide pandemic and waiting for my school to reopen. It's been three months and I'm still waiting.

Like many folks, I've had to transfer my skills online. Unfortunately, I work for a school that lacked a unified effort to move online so I've been watching my bank account and wringing my hands. But it's not like me to wait especially when I know that education has changed forever.

My partner likes to say that he can usually turn a disadvantage into an advantage, and I'd like to think that's exactly what I'm doing. 

Even though other schools started online classes (and I felt sidelined), my ex-colleagues complained about the workload. They were grateful, yes, when so many have lost their jobs, but teaching online took much more planning and effort. Now, you might be confused by that but often our classes are interactive, there's a lot of movement, activities, mingling, speaking, etc. After all, that has to be the advantage of learning in a classroom.

I was able to pick up some tutoring online so I could relate to them through my imagination. However, I was able to assess the failings of moving the curriculum as it went online. I knew that if I wanted to go electronic that I'd have to figure out another way.

This coincided with working on a book report with a student. I realized how easy the lesson planning was because I was spending my time doing something I enjoyed. Teaching IELTS online also wasn't the usual hard work because I had a great student, it's a higher level of learning, and I have plenty of resources.

Around this time, my partner was also getting into these award-winning short films. Suddenly, I put it all together. I could teach students through short films, short stories, and even fairy tales like I did with Waldorf. There is so much material right in front of me. There are many advantages to learning holistically, and there's a low commitment to watching short films (15 mins each on average), but all the benefits are still there. We simply get rid of the textbooks.

I wouldn't compete with the EFL world too. It was different yet familiar - but I need students. So, I started a Teacher Lani FB page and a website. Oh, and a video that explains things a little more. I'm excited and nervous. Although I think I just need to connect to the right audience because many people naturally learn another language through movies and stories. Here's to the next level.

Wish me luck! Thanks.




Comments

Popular Posts