Rotten to the apple core


“We heard you were going to leave anyway,” Mr. Wolf said after a meeting one day.

I stared at him.

“From who?”

“Someone.”

“Well, you heard wrong.”

Was this justification for firing me? We heard you were going to leave anyway? Who the hell says this?

***

We started off each music lesson with singing the scales. Then Mrs. Raven and I would practice songs and reading music.

Then there was the day she told me, “You know Lani, you actually have a very sweet singing voice.”

“Really?”

“Yes, you do.”

I was touched to hear such a compliment after years of believing my voice was horrible. And from a music teacher too! One who used to hate me! Well, we didn't get along very well and now look at us!

“And another thing,” She dabbed her eyes with tissue. Mrs. Raven was easily moved to tears. “I was wrong about you. When we first met I thought you were arrogant – unwilling to learn. I was hurt when you told me you no longer wanted me as a mentor.”

“I know. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.”

“I know that now. But I feel like since I’ve been watching you and spending time with you I’ve learned what an incredibly strong capable woman you are.”

Smiling I said, “I try. I really try.”

“You’re not a bad teacher. You’re just at a bad school.”

It was my turn to get teary eyed, “I’m glad we got to know one another better.”

“Me too.”

***

Even though Mrs. Bluejay wanted me to fight the Core Group’s decision, I did nothing. Did I really want to fight to remain inside the insane asylum? I was still trying to come to terms with the fact that I had failed as a Waldorf teacher.

I tried to come up with a nice pedagogical story, a gentle way to let my children know that I would not be their third grade teacher next year. I ended up talking about how a farmer had to leave his animals and how a new farmer would take care of them but I got frustrated with trying to be clever and finished up my saying, “I’m leaving. I won’t be your teacher next year.”

“Why?” They were alarmed.

“Don’t go.”

“Why are you going?”

"Why does the farmer have to leave?"

“Are you mad at us?”

Confused, my acorns asked me a lot of questions, none of which I was prepared to answer. I think I said something like, “It’s time for me to go. I have to go.”

After I had formally told my class, the parents became openly divided. The Core Group held a meeting to discuss the parents’ concerns and questions. I sat there tense and death-like quiet. My class parents stared at me as the administrator announced that I was leaving, that it was a mutual agreement, and that the Core Group had begun interviewing new teachers. Nobody bought it. It was never said but it was understood, Miss Cox was fired.

Once the meeting was over one of my class parents made a beeline for me. #4’s mom said, “Were you fired?”

“I can’t say.” Why was I protecting them?

“Then I’ll say it. The Core Group isn’t fooling anyone.”

She continued. “We’ll fight this decision.”

I stared at one of my biggest cheerleaders, one of my level-headed parents (they are out there) and smiled.

For a brief moment I allowed myself to believe.

She looked at me, “I don’t think you realize how much support you have. I’m furious that they made this decision. In fact, I’m pissed off.”

My eyebrows rose.

“#4 loves you. And I am so sick of these stupid parents crying and whining over every little thing. I know exactly who they are too. I’m prepared for it to get ugly.”

“Do what you think is best,” I was grateful for her enthusiasm but I was too exhausted from the ordeal. I knew what it was like to battle with these people and I had lost almost every time.

Letters from a few of my children saying, “We don’t want Miss Cox to leave” ended up in the faculty’s mailboxes.

“Did you have anything to do with this?” Mrs. Bluejay asked waving the crayon colored letter in front of me.

“No.”

“This is bad,” She said it more to herself than to me.

***

Some of the parents wrote letters on my behalf too. They addressed the Core Group and gave me copies. I kept them for the longest time. I wanted to remember their kind words. I wanted to remember the good things not just the bad things said about me. But one day I threw them away. I decided I wanted to be finish with holding on to the past.

Yet out of all the letters, the one I remember most fondly said, “Miss Cox is like a breath of fresh air. . .” This came from one of my quiet dads so it was surprising to read and I cherished it. I knew that some liked the fact that I wasn’t the typical Waldorf teacher. In fact, #3’s mom told me this all the time which is so strange considering what I later learned.

So while there were my supporters, there were the parents who had helped the Core Group make their final decision and pull those sitting on the fence over to their side.

One of the moms actually admitted, “I heard the talk and I began to think maybe there’s some truth to all this.”

The Core Group responded to the parents and children’s letters by holding another meeting. This time addressing what Mrs. Four wanted to know, “What was so damaging from Old Woman’s assessment?” There would be no holding back this time. I wasn’t going to be there and they needed to quell the rebellion. I stayed out of this struggle as much as possible. I was flattered by the parents support but I also tried to remain neutral.

I wanted to see what would happen without me interfering.

The following day I could tell by looking at my parents that the Core Group had done some damage. I pulled Mrs. Four aside, “Stop fighting for me.”

“Are you sure?”

Yes, I was sure.

Comments

  1. Anonymous15 July, 2010

    Hi Lani,

    I found your blog as someone posted a link to it under the guise of it being written by an ex-teacher who was anti-Waldorf. I know that this wasn't your intention, but I thought it worth pointing out to others who come here led by that person's skewed perception (I'm thinking he/she didn't even take the time to read your blog).

    Anyway, I read all posts that pertained to your time teaching and wanted to thank you. It is an honest and open account about a young teacher's highs and lows.

    In researching Waldorf Teacher Training for myself, I've read a lot of advice about the differences between teaching in a well-established Waldorf school vs. teaching in a newly opened one, and what they've described is very similar to your experience. Consistency with Steiner's teachings also seems wishy-washy depending on the school one approaches, and attitudes/biases of the school's "Core Group" ;). Like anything else, the people laying the foundation for the school seemed to take a philosophical viewpoint (i.e., Steiner's) and alter it as they saw fit - kind of like a square peg in a round hole. It's unfortunate, but such is the case in almost all fields, methinks.

    I'm wondering if Waldorf schools in Europe (esp. Britain) differ from American ones?

    By the end, I also wondered why you never tried teaching at a different Waldorf school? You seem so passionate about the essential truths of this teaching method, and you were so obviously doing your best to teach lovingly - enthralled by the children and finding great reward through your relations with them - that I was confused by this aspect of your story.

    I felt it important to emphasize for future readers that your story relates to an experience at one very poorly run school, and that we should be careful not to generalize it to every Waldorf school.

    Steiner was an idealist, albeit with a practical sensibility; may his belief in the beautiful nature inherent in all people, especially children, live on. May we not give up on his beautiful example of being a teacher. And may we not give up on Waldorf schools due to the dark sides of a few misguided individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anon!

    First of all, thanks for reading! :) And I'm glad I was able to portray an honest and open account. I tried to not sound bitter skewed but it has been interesting that I have attracted folks who are anti-Waldorf.

    That said, the more I look into that other world the more I understand their viewpoint. Waldorf has created a battle-line so to speak and I feel like I stand on it, with moments of pacing back and forth.

    But I do appreciate your words and they come at a good time for me.

    I never returned to Waldorf in another country or school because I was so very hurt. I didn't think, at the time I could do it even though there are good Waldorf schools out there. Logically I knew this but my heart wasn't ready.

    It's been a long curvy road back into teaching and I'm surprised by how much I am enjoying it. I'll talk a more about this in the future.

    Many thanks, lc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous16 July, 2010

    Thanks Lani!

    As someone thinking of training to become a Waldorf teacher, it would help me out a lot if you wouldn't mind elaborating on this: "...the more I look into that other world the more I understand their viewpoint. Waldorf has created a battle-line so to speak and I feel like I stand on it, with moments of pacing back and forth."

    I would like to weigh all pros and cons as carefully as possible beforehand. I can fwd my email, if you'd prefer.

    Best of luck with teaching, I'm happy to hear you're doing it again.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it would be best if you emailed me. I could elaborate further. And if folks are interested in what I have to say I could cut it down and put it in comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been a successful Waldorf class teacher for many years. In some ways an established school is better to teach at and in some ways much worse and in most ways no different at all. They have just given the gossip and negativity and chaos fancier names and written procedures for entertaining it so they can pretend that what's being said about you is accurate and fair. And I'm a teacher who is adored by her class and evaluators. It doesn't matter. They can still find things or invent things to decide are wrong with you. There are such amazing, beautiful things about being a waldorf class teacher, but I would not recommend it to anyone. There's really nothing like it to crush the spirit. This seems to be not only my experience, but a very common experience among class teachers. I am very thankful to be on the last lap with this class. Like most of us, I won't be doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm beginning to wonder why Waldorf schools seem to attract or create such negativity or "spirit crushing" as you put it.

    It seemed as though R St. was trying to foster quite the opposite. So. Have people become so out of touch with reality? and what it means to treat people with dignity and respect?

    I think some folks mistake gentle and soft with easy to tread upon. I don't know...You've given me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love the education that my 3 children have gotten. I don't think there is a better teaching philosophy. As a Waldorf teacher, I don't wish this on anyone. For myself I have to admit that the parents have too much involvement. This is coming from me having been a Waldorf homeschooler. The administrators do not know how to retain parents and keep supporting teachers. Teachers are too busy to be administrators. Being a Private school with such a non traditional philosophy makes it hard to advertise and market. We can't be desperate to keep damaging, fussy parents. Even if they are on the board! There lies the conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said. There is conflict built into the system and we need to be able to look at everything with a critical and objective eye.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Has anyone--anyone--representing any official Waldorf organization ever denounced--not glossed over, or justified, but actually openly denounced--Rudolf Steiner's overt racism, or his belief that children with learning disabilities are not fully human, but incarnate demons?

    Dr. Steiner: “That little girl L.K. in the first grade must have something really very wrong inside. There is not much we can do. Such cases are increasing in which children are born with a human form, but are not really human beings in relation to their highest I; instead, they are filled with beings that do not belong to the human class. Quite a number of people have been born since the nineties [the 1890s] without an I, that is, they are not reincarnated, but are human forms filled with a sort of natural demon. There are quite a large number of older people going around who are actually not human beings, but are only natural; they are human beings only in regard to their form. We cannot, however, create a school for demons.”

    A teacher: ‘How is that possible?’

    Dr. Steiner: “Cosmic error is certainly not impossible. The relationships of individuals coming into earthly existence have long been [pre]determined. There are also generations in which individuals have no desire to come into earthly existence and be connected with physicality, or immediately leave at the very beginning. In such cases, other beings that are not quite suited step in. This is something that is now quite common, that human beings go around without an I; they are actually not human beings, but have only a human form. They are also quite different from human beings in regard to everything spiritual. They can, for example, never remember such things as sentences; they have a memory only for words, not for sentences.

    “The riddle of life is not so simple. When such a being dies, it returns to nature from which it came. The corpse decays, but there is no real dissolution of the etheric body, and the natural being returns to nature.

    “It is also possible for something like an automaton could occur. The entire human organism exists, and it might be possible to automate the brain and develop a kind of pseudomorality. [sic]

    “I do not like to talk about such things since we have often been attacked even without them. Imagine what people would say if they heard that we say there are people who are not human beings. Nevertheless, these are facts. Our culture would not be in such a decline if people felt more strongly that a number of people are going around who, because they are completely ruthless, have become something that is not human, but instead are demons in human form.

    “Nevertheless, we do not want to shout that to the world. Our opposition is already large enough. Such things are really shocking to people. I caused enough shock when I needed to say that a very famous university professor, after a very short period between death and rebirth, was reincarnated as a black scientist. We do not want to shout such things out into the world.” — Rudolf Steiner, FACULTY MEETINGS WITH RUDOLF STEINER, pp. 649-650.

    Has any official representative ever denounced such bigotry? Has Anthroposophy rewritten its cosmology to expunge its central tenet, that human beings evolve, in multiple incarnations, through a hierarchy of inferior races, to arrive in glory at the high level of the Caucasian?

    Do Waldorf teachers continue to seek to quell left-handedness, or discourage the use of black and brown crayons because of their purported association with inferior races?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts